Step by Step Guide to Set Up Direct Payments
This is intended to help you with a step-by-step guide so you can understand the process involved in setting up direct payments. For more information on each step,
STEP 1: Are you eligible for direct payments?
STEP 2: How do direct payments work? Is it right for you?
STEP 3: What are your responsibilities as an employer on direct payments?
- Recruitment of a personal assistant (PA)
- Provide PA with contract of employment & job description
- Inform the Inland Revenue that you are employing someone
- Operate PAYE (Pay as you Earn Scheme) for your employee to deduct tax & national insurance (NI) & pay the Inland Revenue employers’ NI
- Arrange appropriate insurance cover – as a employer it is a legal requirement that you have Employers’ liability insurance
STEP 4: Complete the task-based and personal self assessment forms as these will
...........................help you to get the right direct payments package suited to your needs.
STEP 5: Arrange a Community Care Assessment with your Care Manager or Social Services
WHEN YOU ARE ACCEPTED…
STEP 6: Getting support – make use of a local support service
STEP 7: Set up a separate Bank Account for your direct payments
STEP 8: Writing a job description and placing an advertisement
STEP 9: Interviewing & choosing a PA
STEP 10: Recruiting a PA – providing a contract and job description
STEP 11: Getting insurance
STEP 12: Taking care of your employee’s payroll
STEP 13: Being aware of employment law and legislation
STEP 14: Training your PA